Casa Pellico – Saluzzo
It is situated in the beautiful Mondagli Square, surely one of the most beautiful parts of the old town centre of Saluzzo. The building dates back to the Middle Ages and was built just outside the enclosing walls dated 1280. The bearing structure consists of four pointed arches that are fresco decorated. The building was later raised in the 16th century, with the addition of loggias on the top floor, which are now walled up. Another storey was added in the early 19th century: it consisted of a closed loggia with terrace at the same floor of the square, over which the elegant Neo-classical lounge overlooks with its fine and elegant decorations. The famous patriot and writer Silvio Pellico was born on 25th June 1789 in the small apartment on the first floor, and he spent there his childhood. His kept love and thankfulness for his hometown throughout his life: for him it was a literary place of affection and happy memories. Nowadays, after the recent restorations made by the City Hall, his personal objects, his manuscripts and his works are on display in the “House-Museum”.